... that several pic links are broken.
We had turned on automatic photo upload to our Photobucket account on our phones, meaning that each time we took a pic it was automagically uploaded to our online account for backup. It's convenient as the dickens, but it uploads everything - including the dozens of paperwork pics Steve takes every week for the business, plus every picture I take (which is a lot - if something catches my eye, I can take two dozen pics of the same thing.
Suffice it to say that our Photobucket account was nearing the 10 gb max and desperately needed cleanup.
Sooo, I dived in and moved and organized and deleted.
The good news is, we're down to only 34% of our 10 gb.
The bad news is, I need to go back and correct the photo links throughout the blog.
I'll get right on it.